Tuesday

Teachers- Who needs them?

This week I start my first job in 2 years, back into teaching. I graduated in 2009 as a FE teacher, getting experience in the college and university institutions. This year, I have struggled to find any full time teaching positions due to the lack of funding from the government for schools and colleges, which in turn has resulted in fewer classes and fewers students in them.

One college in question, who has had funding cut because 'it is not getting the grades' has treated the subject by employing teachers who dont even teach that subject, to teach an already failing class. No wonder the grades of Es and U's are causing the college to re-think taking it into the second year of an A2 class.
With a failing economy and cuts being made to fund elsewhere, is it really nessasary to cut colleges and schools?

I understand if a college or school does not get the grades, then funding is cut but then you need to invest in teachers who can teach the subject. I teach media myself, and if I was asked to teach Science or English - how could I refuse? A few chapters in a book before the lesson, and I am expected to teach. Academy's are meant to be 'reinventing' the education system in failing areas around London. Throwing money into new facilities which are great, but with rules stating FE teachers (such as myself) cannot teach across the board but secondary teachers can, doesnt really give the student's much of a chance.

My subject is very far and few in between when it comes to positions that are available. I have been lucky in the past to pick up supply work. but with class students beein failed bythe system and supply teachers coming into assist in an already established class, it is disturbing for their learning and the teachers teaching.

NQT's these days do not get the support they need to continue to find work. I have been out of teaching for 2 years now and I should of completed by Qualifying year, progressed and developed into management or even as a head of department but with lack of jobs and support for NQT's it's hard to move on the lader.

No comments:

Post a Comment